A CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) run night coach caught fire when its gas cylinder was exploded. This accident took place on Monday at Palashbari near the BRAC office on Rangpur – Bogra highway. It was around 9:00 pm. The driver lost control after the explosion and it hit a road side tree.
The bus is severely damaged. Police from Palashbari police station rushed there and rescued the injured passengers. About thirty five passengers were injured and they were taken to Rangpur Medical College Hospital and Palashbari Upazila Health Complex. Fire fighters from Gaibandha also reached there.
Many public and private transports are using CNG instead of diesel because it’s cost effective. But CNG run vehicles require gas cylinder which reserves natural gas at very high pressure. Low quality gas cylinders have caused deadly accidents across the country on several occasions. Even quality cylinders are needed to be replaced after certain period, but many vehicles owners are not doing that.